Many people will claim that they want something different in their life, it is the brave who choose to become something different so that they can attract what they want. We cannot simply wish for something to materialise in our life, we need to become the person who will draw that to us. It requires creating the next and greatest version of ourselves, after first accepting who we are in the moment, flaws 'n all.
Who you are now is familiar to you. If you are unwilling to embrace the unknown, to step in to it with curiosity, you may find yourself forever repeating the past. The way that we most commonly fear the unknown is that we take our painful past and project it in to the future. Follow the steps below and you can create your future self anew.
1) Be willing to let go of the past. We hold on to the past for many different reasons. We may still harbour resentment or anger towards another, for their mistakes, and refuse to forgive them. Or we may continue to be angry at ourselves for our own mistakes and failures. Many struggle to forgive because they feel that it is admitting that the other person is right. The reason to forgive is so that we can end our own suffering, so that we can move forward, free from the burden of the past. If we don't forgive we find ourselves repeating the same lessons over and over until we get them. When we forgive, we allow new stories to unfold. Accept wholeheartedly what is, and choose to become the most empowered version of yourself from that point forward.
2) Get very clear on what you have control over, and what you do not. By acknowledging your fears (to yourself or a mentor you can trust with them ) you can master them. When you do not acknowledge them you will seek to control your environment, and others within it. You may project your fears on to others through blame and criticism. You will know that you are trying to control things that you cannot when you feel anxiety. You may control it by not facing the challenge before you. You may control others by making sure that they conform to your wishes so that you do not have to face that fear. I had major control issues in the past and it caused me much stress trying to control everything in my life. When I acknowledged the fears beneath, I was able to develop mastery over them and did not need to control.
3) Who you are being called to become is not familiar to you, and so what happens in your world when you are that person will be unknown to you. If you have forever been stuck in feelings of self consciousness, being confident will seem unfamiliar to you. And, because it is unfamiliar you may find yourself focusing only upon the struggles that you have to overcome to be that person, and conclude that it is then safer to stay where you are. Be willing to welcome in the unknown that is calling you to be greatest version of yourself. We hold on to what is familiar, even if it is painful, unaware that the unfamiliar may be much more joyous to us.
4) What will be some of the benefits of you embodying that quality that you are being called to become? When you are confident, you will find yourself enjoying social or business occasions more, you will find yourself creating new possibilities for yourself. Before I was in public speaking I lacked confidence. My desire to be a public speaker was stronger than my fear of it, and through the process, step by step I was able to enhance my feelings of self-confidence. Now I can stand up in front of thousands of people if necessary, and as a result I am able to help more people, and I am able to support the lifestyle that I desire. What quality are you being called to become? What would the benefits to your life be if you embodied that quality? Allow those to become the focal point of your imagination, instead of the obstacles that stand in the way. See yourself as the person who embodies those qualities.
5) You don't have control over what happens to you, you only have control over who you choose to become. Much of what happens to you is a result of the laws of nature, and is not within our control. You have control over how you respond to situations and you have control over who you choose to become. In relationships of any kind, we have control over who we choose to be, and absolutely no control over who another chooses to be. So choosing to be confident will present you with tests as to how much you want to be that person. You will not have to stand up in front of a million tv viewers today, but you can take one step forward that will challenge yourself to be that person.
6) You become who you tell yourself that you are repeatedly. If you tell yourself you lack self confidence, it will become a self fulfilling prophecy. In those moments when you face challenges to your self esteem or your confidence, remind yourself who you are. "I am confident" repeated a hundred times before speaking at a toastmasters event will help you feel more powerful than all the worrying about what people will think of you. For some time there may be a battle in your mind, but the thoughts you are creating today are the ones that are creating the person you will become in the future. To be confident in the future, you need to begin telling yourself that you are that now, and believe it within every cell of your being.
7) Give yourself permission to embrace the unknown. Take a deep breath. "I trust the process of my life. I embrace the unknown. All is well." We need to be conscious of when we are taking action and making choices from a place of fear and restlessness, and when we are taking action and making choices from a place of calm and intuitive guidance. The most inspirational creativity in the world comes from those who are willing to embrace the unknown willingly. You could be creating a new relationship, a new business, a book, a speaking event, or anything else. How it looks remains unknown to you at this time, but the more you trust the creative process, the more effortlessly you will allow life to be better. Focus on what you do have control over, instead of what you can't control.
When you follow the steps outlined above, you can step more confidently in to being the person that you want to be, so that you can more effortlessly enjoy the life that you want to live. It is ultimately about recognising that you have control over who you become, and not over what others do to or for you.
GROUP COACHING AND ENERGY HEALING SESSION - VICTORIA, BC
NOVEMBER 2ND 2012 , 7 PM
Nicole Powell and Matthew Ashdown want to guide you as you step into the most awesome version of yourself, the YOU who will attract the life you want. Whether you aim to be an artist, a writer, a singer, a dog trainer, or Mayor, this coaching and energy healing session will support you in integrating into the cells of your being, the person you are being called to step into.
Click here to join in on the fun.
Yoga, spirituality, science, adventures and more. These blogs are designed to uplift your days and help you find clarity.